Thursday, July 25, 2013

Natural Insect repellent Lotion Bars (Bug-away Lotion Bar)


This is the time of year that I love being outside at dusk. However, so do the mosquitoes!
I've been wanting to try out making Lotion Bars & I just found this local honey farm that sells beeswax. Babe's Honey Farm.

Also, Who wants a insect repellent soap? I like applying it right when the bugs begin to appear. You never know when you will end up at a bonfire.


Ingredients:
With the oils I used a 1:1:1 ratio
2.5 oz Beeswax
2.5 oz Coconut Oil
2.5 oz Olive Oil (Pumace) infused with Lavender and Chamomile
1 tsp Catnip (dried)
7 drops Lavender E.O.
10 drop Eucalytus E.O.
1/4 tsp Tea Tree E.O.
This is a nice way to get started if you are interested in soap-making. There is no lye needed and very little patience it is ready in a few hours instead of weeks. You also get to experience the lovely smell you get when combining these essential oils and way this lotion feels on your skin.

Directions:
Why did I pick these essential oils? I got a lot of inspiration from The Soap Resource: Homemade Bug Repellent Recipe.  They list a lot of Essential Oils that will repel bugs. I would have used some peppermint and / or citronella but I don't have any in stock right now & I was impatience to give this a try. I am really happy with how it turned out, I was worried it would not really smell nice since that was not it's main purpose, but these combine beautifully. I think the added Chamomile really brings together the different E.Os & makes it into something much more than a bug-repellent.

Step 1: Preparing molds & Measuring 
Step 2: Melting Beeswax & Coconut Oil with Olive Oil, & infusing Catnip.
Once oils are melted and combined & catnip has had a little time to infuse:

Step 3: Straining out catnip 
Step 4: (not pictured) adding the essential oils. I strained the mixture into my Pyrex 2 cupper with a pour spout. I added each of the essential oils & gave it a good stir. If it started to harden (it did to me) you can just put it in the microwave as 30 sec intervals until is melts again.

This is a good chance to check it out. You can add a cold spoon into the liquid mixture and it will harden just like your final product will, then you can see how it feels.   

Step 5: pour into molds

Step 6: Let harden (a few hours until it is opaque and not squishy, then remove from mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Bookmark and Share